A little on our History

The “Casa de São Mamede” is a small, family kind hotel type establishment with 28 rooms, that functions in a beautiful building of XVIII century. It was in 1758 that the property was constructed for residence of a magistrate, the Dr. Manuel Jose de Faria and Sousa, curiously, is one of the first buildings to be constructed in the traditional system of “birdcage” – heartquake- proof construction used after earthquake of 1755.
Having been adapted to a hotel unit in 1948, it knew how to keep throught the years, the treatment, the tradition and the atmosphere of a true family house.

Its position in the geography of Lisbon forming a plaza with the Church of the same name and respective garden, constitutes in the words of an illustrious portuguese professor the“better localization of this kind of establishments, since that, is placed in full heart of the city, confers it something of the bucolic beauty of a village”*;
Always trying to preserve the past we did not relinquish, however, the comfort requirements that the contemporary life demands, so, all the rooms have the same infrastructures, namely: all have privative bathroom, telephone, digital safe, satellite television, double glasses and air-conditioned with individual command. The fact that we’re dealing with a small hotel type unit, allow us to grant a more intent and personalized treatment to each customer.

*Professor Augusto França in “Monte Olivete Minha Aldeia”



History of Saint Mamede

Saint Mamede, Legendary Saint, deceased in 275 very new, in Cesareia of Capadócia.
He was a shepherd and after having mounted an altar in the desert, it prayed to the wild beasts. With the milk of the females it made cheeses for the poor persons…
He was imprisoned, launched to wild animals, launched to an oven, but it left uninjured, of everything, dying stripped with one trident, for not having denied its faith.

Being the oldest register, dated of 1220, the current local of Saint Mamede started in the environs of the Castle of S. Jorge until about 1769, date where its transference for the current city zone was made.